What is Lacto Calamine?
Lacto Calamine is a kaolin clay-based moisturizing skin lotion with numerous medicinal and skincare benefits. It keeps the skin hydrated; treats acne, blackhead and whitehead problems; keeps dandruff and nappy rash at bay. This is an over-the-counter calamine lotion that does not require any dermatologist’s prescription. Originally Lacto Calamine was available in the only lotion for but now it is available in Face cleansers, moisturizing lotion and sunscreen form. There are two variants of Lacto Calamine Oil Balance Lotion; one for oily skin and the other is for combination to normal skin.
Price- Rs.75 for 30ml, Rs.128 for 60ml, Rs.198 for 120ml
Constituents of Lacto Calamine
Lacto Calamine lotion is made up of three main ingredients. Its main ingredient is Kaolin. Kaolin is a type of mineral clay with amazing oil-absorbing properties. Just like Multani mitti this gradient helps to get rid of excess sebum and keeps face oil-free. Lacto calamine also contains Zinc Oxide and glycerine. Zinc oxide is an anti-inflammatory compound that helps to clear acne, and bacterial infections on skin and also comes with a natural SPF. Glycerine helps to retain the moisture balance of the skin and prevents the dryness caused by kaolin.
How to Use Lacto Calamine for Maximum Benefits?
Lacto calamine is a topical moisturizer which means it can only be applied to exposed skin. This lotion works best if used 2-3 times as a part of your regular skincare routine.
- Wash your face with Lacto calamine face wash or any other suitable face wash of your choice.
- Tone your face with a mild herbal toner or astringent.
- Apply the desired amount of Lacto Calamine on the face and let it set into a matte finish. Continue with your sunscreen or makeup application.
What to Expect from Lacto Calamine?
Here are some benefits and uses of Lacto Calamine
# Oil-free Moisturizer: Lacto calamine is one of the best affordable oil-free moisturizers for oily, normal, combination skin. It keeps the skin hydrated without over-drying. It keeps my face oil-free up to 5-6 hours in summer.
# Treats Acne, Black Heads and White Heads: Lacto calamine is a wonder ingredient to dry up big bumpy pimples in a very short time. Kaolin clay also helps to soak up the oils accumulated in face pores causing open comedones or blackheads. It also helps to prevent the growth of whiteheads.
# Soothes Sunburn: The Zinc Oxide and kaolin clay contents in Lacto calamine have skin-calming properties. That is why Lacto calamine is a great after-sun skin moisturizer for treating sunburns and other skin issues related to sun exposure. Lacto calamine sunscreen is one of the best broad-spectrum protection sunscreens for normal or combination skin.
# Treats Dandruff: Lacto calamine’s anti-microbial properties are helpful in treating seborrheic dermatitis, dandruff and other fungal infections on the scalp. To treat dandruff, apply Lacto calamine 1-2 times a day on clean and dry scalp.
Does Lacto Calamine have any Side effects?
Lacto calamine is a gentle moisturizer for most of skin types including sensitive skin. It generally does not give any side effects unless applied on wounded or flaky dry skin. If you are a lactating mother or pregnant woman then definitely get an expert opinion on using this lotion.
- Try not to use Lacto Calamine as a replacement for your nourishing night cream if you have a dry skin type. Lacto calamine will soak up your skin’s natural moisture and skin would feel flaky dry in the morning.
- Do not forget to shake the Lacto Calamine bottle thoroughly before use. It contains insoluble powder compounds like zinc oxide and kaolin that tend to precipitate at the bottom. When shaken, the liquid takes an emulsion form containing all the ingredients in a proper mix.