Hey people!! Hope the month of April has started with a bang for you all!! I know that the temperature is going higher and higher each day and we keep on finding shortcuts when it comes to cooking! Staying in the kitchen for long has become a kind of nightmare.The dish I’m sharing today is another one of my quickies and my favorite spinach recipe, the spinach corn sandwich recipe; which you can make in less than half an hour! This one works great as a lazy (but yummy) breakfast option on weekends or lunch option on the weekdays. The ingredients include the super healthy spinach, the crunchy yummy sweet corn kernels, and the best thing in the world ‘Cheese’. What else do you need? You got everything!Actually, this sandwich reminds me of the days when I had just started my first job. I used to visit one of the cafes near my office with my friends or colleagues, which used to serve the spinach corn sandwich. Every time I would go there, I would order the same sandwich with coffee.One day I thought why not try it at home? It does not call for too many ingredients and it does not take much time as well! I read many recipes, made a few variations here and there and made it. It turned out super yummy. And since then, it became one of my favorite homemade sandwich options. Yay!So that’s the story! Now let’s get cooking.
Ingredients: (This will make about 4 sandwiches)
- Spinach leaves – 2 handfuls (only leaves not the stems)
- Bread slices – 8 (or according to how many sandwiches you need)
- Butter – 1tbsp (Or Olive oil for a healthier option)
- Boiled sweet corn kernels – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Ground Black pepper – 1/2 tsp.
- Cheese – Either shredded or slices or cheese spread (I always give you options!)
- Garlic – 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Onions – 1/2 finely chopped
Method of Preparation:
- Blanch/Boil the spinach leaves. Once done, take it out of hot water and lightly wash it with cold water. Now either chop the leaves very finely or coarsely grind them in a mixer.
- In a pan, heat the butter/Olive oil; add the chopped garlic and onions. Sauté till the raw smell goes away and the onions are translucent.
- Add the spinach. Add salt and black pepper and cook for about 5-7 minutes. I love the beautiful and vibrant green color of the spinach.
- After this, add the corn kernels and cook for 3-4 minutes more. Everything must mix nicely.
- Now take the mix off the heat. If you are using shredded cheese, add it to the spinach corn mix. If you are using cheese slices or cheese spread, then take one slice of bread and add the cheese slice/spread.
- Spread evenly the spinach corn mix on the bread slice. (Look at the vibrant colors.)
- Cover it with another slice. Grill the sandwich or make it in a sandwich maker or you can make it in a pan as well until the bread is nice and golden on both the sides.
- Cut them up diagonally or from the middle. Serve them hot!
Enjoy it on a lazy day with a hot cup of tea 🙂